25 December 2014

Chapter 1 comes to a close

As this year comes to an end, so does the incredible journey I've shared with my (now) husband.  Fifteen countries, 80+ hotels, and thousands of memories later, I am as happy and in love as can remember being.  For many, the end of the year is a time of self-refection and resolutions to be made.  For me, this entire year was an opportunity for self-reflection and in the end I don't have any drastic resolutions, just one I've grown to learn: know you, and be you.  I've been happy to share my thoughts so openly in this forum and appreciate the encouragement and love from so many followers: old friends, new friends, stranger friends. This is part one of a few summary blogs I'll be sharing.

(* Disclaimer - this is written as much for me as for you.  For me to come back to to remember my thoughts, to find my inspiration again when I need it.  I'm not intending to be self-righteous or preachy.  Also, this is not sufficient to treat mood-disorders of any kind.  Please consult a profession regarding more serious mental-health issues or concerns.)

1. Know you, be you.  As I have mentioned previously, people responded in all sorts of ways when we started talking about taking this journey.  I never had doubts about if this time of traveling would be something I perhaps shouldn't do or something I would come to regret.  Now, on the tail end of things, I feel nearly bursting at the seems wanting to share my message: follow your path!  And don't be afraid to modify your plans, it will be good for you :)  It can be challenging to move from knowing your path to walking it.  You are the only one who can walk your path.  Even one step on your path brings you closer to your goal.  Spend time with yourself, know yourself, be yourself.  Every day that you are trying to be someone else or live someone else's dream, is one less day of you being you.



2. Be happy.  I think if you can do the above, happiness cannot help but follow.  I have by no means been happy of every moment of every day during this adventure.  We've had lots of struggles!  At times I've felt sad, hurt, misunderstood, angry, even resentful.  I've been tired and hungry and grouchy.  None of these emotions are permanent of course, and my soul, my heart, and my mind have been so happy much of the time.  It's something I've worked on, too.  Happiness can take work but it's worth working for.  If you don't feel happy, you can try to change all the things in your life that might be bringing you down but eventually you will find this a futile endeavor and you might not be any happier.  Sister Hazel circa 2000 had the right message: "If you want to be someone else, change your mind..."  Decide to bring (even more) happiness into your life.  And listen to some Sister Hazel and Pharrell Williams; it can't hurt.



3. My husband amazes me.  I believe it was Bill Murray that had a(nother) moment of internet success this year when a video surfaced of him advising the single generation of today to travel the world with your partner for a year, and if you still love him/her in the end, then you can marry that person.  We were half-backwards here as we were married during our time traveling, but in the end the result is the same: we survived and even thrived together as a pair and I feel certain that little can shake us as a team.  I was pretty amazed by husband long ago, that's what led to him being my husband, you see.  Now though, I have seen him in so many different lights and he shines in almost all of them.  I've got more to say about this but it's so special and personal I think I'll share it in a card with him instead of here.  I think you'll understand.




4. The world is wonderful.  Your news source, your family and friends, and even people you don't know may try and convince you otherwise, but I can't be convinced.  Kindness and beauty can be found everywhere in world, even in the dark corners.  If you haven't been able to realize this perhaps fear, ignorance, misunderstanding, or anger is blocking your view.  Find a different vista point and let the people of the world show you their hearts.  Show yours back.  You might not realize it, but you are making the world a kinder place.



5. You are living your life every day.  I recently read a friend of a friend's post on Facebook where along with the smiling and proud pictures of graduating law school the person said something to the tune of, "I can't wait for my life to finally begin!"  Of course graduating law school is an amazing accomplishment, something to be proud of that undoubtedly took hard work, time, financial resources, sacrifices, and support.  I felt happy for this stranger.  But what really struck me was the statement that now, finally, life can start.  Every day is our life.  Life has started!  Of course there may always be things to look forward to, next chapters that seem better than the one you are on.  But today is your life.  For me this doesn't mean do every crazy thing you ever wanted to do because it might be your last, but like every other day, this one will come and go and this one is the only one you are living.  Embrace it, live it, share it.


2 comments:

  1. Let's go for the travel There are some of the perfect or new york city water tour worth water boat travelling services coming Jet Ski Tours Manhattan up in the market which are ideal option for those who come to this part of the world. There are some really new as well as important points Statue of Liberty jet ski tour coming up that can help you to get certain things all completed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Information provided in the blog.
    Vasant Kamal provide best #Chennai #Shirdi #tour #Package by #flight in affordable price. Vasant Kamal arranged peaceful trips and enjoyable visit to the temple and location transportation by providing excellent service from Chennai. Chennai Shirdi Tour Package by Flight.

    ReplyDelete